Goal Orientation & Results © Martyn Carruthers
If a miracle happened, and your problems were solved, what would you change?
Therapy & Systemic Coaching
Some therapists and coaches (but not all) focus on helping people reach their goals. Both therapists and coaches may talk about empowering people and both may say that they accept people as they are. There is a lot of overlap – and some fighting, often about “Who was here first?“
Psychotherapy may be more appropriate for dysfunctional people who want to control depression, bipolar disorder, addictions, schizophrenia, etc. Our systemic coaching is more for people who want to resolve emotional problems, enjoy healthy relationships or reach specific goals.
Therapy can help people move from dysfunctional to functional; while our systemic coaching can help people move from functional to happy. We can help you find solutions for your problems, and achieve goals that you thought were beyond your reach. You can change … if you wish.
Brief Solution-Focused Therapy
We help people unblock emotions and change specific behaviors in short time frames. We often guide ourselves with the following presuppositions:
- We can define goals as specific behaviors
- Our sessions can focus on dissolving key problems
- Our sessions can be active, directive and empowering
- Your future goals are more important than your past suffering
- Solutions and consequences are more important than symptoms and causes
Like solution focused therapy, we also help people define goals, develop plans and encourage action. We coach people to define and reach individual success. Yet our real clients are often relationship systems, such as couples, families and teams. Individual people represent their human systems!
Coaching families or teams is more about systemic success – about increasing the adaptability, survival potential and effectiveness of those human relationship systems. We often embed individual coaching within our systemic coaching.
Solution focused brief therapy and our systemic coaching share some methods
- Help people define what they want to change.
- Encourage people to define potential solutions.
- Help people describe their problems as behaviors.
- Help people predict the consequences of their actions
- Offer tasks that can accelerate assimilation and resolution.
Systemic Coaching Summary
We base our coaching and mentorship on integrity and competence. We help people evaluate their relationships and define their own goals. And we train people to provide effective coaching while avoiding codependence and other enmeshments.
Here’s our general sequence:
- We check if they are ready to change.
- We meet people privately, by telephone or online.
- We help people define goals and check consequences
- We help people manage objections & plan for their success.
- We help people end self-criticism and conflict to recover integrity.
- We help people evaluate relationships & change unwanted entanglements.
- We help people define and find appropriate internal and external resources.
- We help people change fixations, obsessions, compulsions and limiting beliefs.
- We help people monitor their progress and solve other emotional problems.
- We help people find and benefit from appropriate mentorship and role models.
We focus on helping people create and maintain healthy relationship skills. Instead of listening to excuses and complaints, we coach people to turn their lives around. We help people define what they want … and find ways for them get it!
Questions to Consider
You can use the following questions to help decide what to do next.
- Do you accept reality as it is?
- Do you have healthy relationship skills?
- What are your relationship history and habits?
- Do you know what habits you want to change?
- Do you know what qualities you want to develop?
- Do you know what you want in your relationships?
- What are your personal, partnership and family goals?
- Do you know your relationship needs and how to fulfill them?
- How do you recognize potential friends, team-workers and partners?
Contact us to manage unpleasant emotions and solve relationship problems